CSA Farm Share Program
Serving Bowdoinham, Portland, and South Portland - Signups are currently closed until fall
A Farm Share Program, also known as Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a relationship between our farm and you as our customer. Rather than simply purchasing food, our customers become members of the farm and receive a portion of the farm’s harvest.
Farm shares are a win for the consumer and the farm:
- You get the freshest possible food, with outstanding flavor and nutrient content, and food that will store longer.
- Payments in advance of the growing season reduce the burden of up-front costs for the farmer when purchasing seeds and supplies for the season.
- We get the opportunity to get to know the people who eat the food we grow; likewise, you get to know your farmers.
- Finding customers early in the season helps alleviate some of the marketing tasks that can take time away from crucial fieldwork in the middle of summer.
Details about our summer farm share program:
Our shares focus on the the staples - the vegetables you want in the kitchen all the time. We want our farm share program to give you the fresh ingredients you want to use often - and ones that shouldn't require complicated recipes to cook. We understand that more unusual vegetables can be overwhelming in a farm share and think our customers may be happiest picking those up on the occasional trip to the farmers market. Lettuce, spinach, and carrots are often in the shares, and of course summer favorites of tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers (see the sidebar for the full list of what we grow, and a previous season's share photos below).
We offer two share sizes to cater to individuals and families.
- Individual share - $345 for 20 weeks ($17.25/week).
- Large share - $555 ($27.75/week).
- Shares run from the beginning of June through October (20 weeks).
Scroll through the photos below to see each week's share from a previous season:
Convenient pickups and home & office delivery options
- Bowdoinham - Pickup location downtown. Tuesdays
- South Portland - Pickup in the Willard Square neighborhood at Scratch Baking Co. Tuesdays
- Portland home delivery - your share gets delivered to your doorstep in the afternoon. Available if you live in the peninsula neighborhoods of Portland and those just north of 295 (contact us if you need more details about our delivery area). $20 delivery charge for this option (waived if 4+ shares going to the same address). Thursdays
- Portland office delivery - your share gets delivered in the afternoon ready for you to take home at the end of the workday. $20 delivery charge for this option (waived if 4+ shares going to the same address). If you have 4+ people ready to signup for an office delivery, email to get your office location added to the signup choices. Tuesdays or Thursdays
- IDEXX Laboratories in Westbrook (available to IDEXX employees only). Sign ups through Unity Food Hub: csa.farmigo.com/join/mainefarmshare (see site for details and different share add-ons) Tuesdays
Contact us if you would like more information about our pickup and delivery options.
Willing to serve as a pickup site in exchange for a discounted share? Get in touch - we would love to add a convenient pickup location in Portland. A shady off-street porch or patio works best.
Share add-ons - cut flowers & cheese
We partner with East of Eden Flower Farm to offer seasonal bouquets as a optional add on to your share - $95 for 5 weeks; $174 for 10 weeks; $237 for 15 weeks; $295 for 20 weeks of flowers.
We will continue to offer the popular cheese share option from Winter Hill Farm - $135 for 20 weeks ($6.75/wk) gives you a rotating selection of great cheeses over the course of the season.
We're offering something a little new and unusual this year - an art share! Some of our farmers spend the winter months in the art studio working on an antique letterpress. Receive 4 pieces of letterpress artwork (postcard or similarly sized) themed around food and farming. $25 for 4 weeks.
The great search for eggs - our favorite local egg producers are small farms who do a great job caring for their chickens but whose small size limits their production. Alas we do not have an egg share available as a CSA option at this time.
Fall CSA shares
We also offer a short fall season share, providing some fresh greens, root crops, and storage crops to coast you smoothly from fall to the snowy snowy winter. One share size - $165 for 4 pickups, running every other week from the end of October to December. More details about our fall shares are posted when signups open in September. Photos of last season's shares appear at the end the gallery above.
Want more details or ready to sign up?
Additional details about the program with pickup/delivery days and times, and easy online sign-up can be found at leftfieldfarm.csasignup.com/members. We accept credit cards or check, and you can pay in two installments if you prefer.
Find us at these farmers markets:
Scratch Baking Co. (occasional seasonal pop-up stand in summer) - TBD
What we grow:
Organic vegetables & fruit: arugula, basil, beets, beans, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, collard greens, cucumbers, kale, garlic, leeks, lettuce, onions, summer squash, potatoes, sweet peppers, specialty peppers, heirloom and slicing tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, radishes, spinach, strawberries, sweet potatoes, winter squash
Organic herbs & cut flowers
Organic seedlings: Find them in the spring at the SoPo Farmers Market, Portland Food Coop, & Morning Glory Natural Foods. More info about our seedlings