CSA Farm Share Program
Serving Bowdoinham, Portland, and South Portland
A Farm Share Program, also known as Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a relationship between our farm and you as our customer. Rather than simply purchasing food, our customers become members of the farm and receive a portion of the farm’s harvest.
Farm shares are a win for the consumer and the farm:
- You get the freshest possible food, with outstanding flavor and nutrient content, and food that will store longer.
- Payments in advance of the growing season reduce the burden of up-front costs for the farmer when purchasing seeds and supplies for the season.
- We get the opportunity to get to know the people who eat the food we grow; likewise, you get to know your farmers.
- Finding customers early in the season helps alleviate some of the marketing tasks that can take time away from crucial fieldwork in the middle of summer.
Details about our summer farm share program:
Our shares focus on the the staples - the vegetables you want in the kitchen all the time. We want our farm share program to give you the fresh ingredients you want to use often - and ones that shouldn't require complicated recipes to cook. We know that more unusual vegetables can be overwhelming in a farm share and think our customers may be happiest picking those up on the occasional trip to the farmers market. Lettuce, spinach, and carrots are often in the shares, and of course summer favorites of tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers (see the sidebar for the full list of what we grow, and last season's share photos below).
We offer two share sizes to cater to individuals and families.
- Individual share - $340 for 20 weeks ($17/week).
- Large share - $550 ($27.50/week).
- Shares run from the beginning of June through October.
Scroll through the photos below to see each week's share from last season:
Convenient pickups and home/office delivery options
- Pickup in Bowdoinham downtown.
- Pickup in the Willard Square neighborhood of South Portland at Scratch Baking Co.
- Portland - we offer an office/home delivery service, where your share arrives in the afternoon ready for you to take home at the end of your workday, or waiting for you at your home. Available if you live or work in the peninsula neighborhoods of Portland. There is a $1/week delivery charge for this option (charge is waived if 4 or more shares are going to one address).
- IDEXX Laboratories in Westbrook (available to IDEXX employees only).
Contact us if you would like more information about our pick-up and delivery options. *Current pickup locations subject to change (within the same neighborhood)
Share add-ons - cut flowers & cheese
We partner with East of Eden Flower Farm to offer seasonal bouquets as a optional add on to your share. $85 for 5 weeks; $150 for 10 weeks; $195 for 15 weeks of flowers.
We will continue to offer the popular cheese share option from Winter Hill Farm; $135 for 20 weeks for a broad selection of great cheeses over the course of the season.
We are looking at partnering to offer our members eggs at a future date. Not available as a CSA option at this time.
Fall CSA shares
We also offer a short fall season share, providing some fresh greens, root crops, and storage crops to coast you smoothly from fall to the snowy snowy winter. One share size - $165 for 4 pickups, running every other week from the end of October to December. More details about our fall shares are posted when signups open in September. Photos of last season's shares at the end the gallery above.
Want more details or ready to sign up?
The full details about the program with pickup/delivery days and times, and easy online sign-up can be found at leftfieldfarm.csasignup.com/members. We accept credit cards or check, and you can pay in two installments if you prefer.
What we grow:
Organic vegetables & fruit: arugula, basil, beets, beans, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, collard greens, cucumbers, kale, garlic, leeks, lettuce, onions, summer squash, potatoes, sweet peppers, specialty peppers, heirloom tomatoes, red tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, radishes, spinach, strawberries, sweet potatoes, winter squash
Organic herbs & cut flowers
Organic seedlings: Find them in the spring at the SoPo Farmers Market, Portland Food Coop, & Morning Glory Natural Foods. More info about our seedlings